I try to clean out my closet every quarter. I know that's a bit excessive, but for some reason, it's easier for me to let go of things after three months vs. once or twice a year. If you're not bonkers like I am and only do it once a year, NOW is the time. You probably just received many holiday gifts and have no idea how you're going to stuff them into your closet. Chances are you have many things that you're keeping for no good reason or that you've forgotten you actually had.
Cleaning out and organizing your closet is a great way to determine what you don't need and, also, what you do. You are likely missing some basics, and it's the best time of year to take advantage of seasonal and post-holiday sales. An added bonus is that you can donate to charity the items you're no longer using so that someone else in need can.
To help you get started, here's a list of classic basics that you should find in your closet. I narrowed it down to clothing and shoes. If I missed any basics that you think should be added to the list or if you'd like to see my suggestions for accessory staples, leave a comment below and let me know.
If you can't seem to find any of these items in your closet, it's time to shop!
- A pair of classic black & nude heels/pumps
- Great pair of jeans x 3 (Blue, Black, White)
- Classic trench coat
- Classic white tee shirt
- Long or 3/4 winter dress coat
- Casual winter jacket
- Fall leather jacket
- Classic denim jacket
- Little black dress (LBD)
- Strappy heels in black or nude (I vote both)
- Neutral color flat sandal or flip flop (a casual but dressier pair for sundresses, shorts, or jeans)
- Great pair of boots (depending on your height and build, style will vary - I love my black Steve Madden OTK boots in the picture above)
- A suit (navy or black) OR a nice pair of dress slacks
- Classic white blouse
- Classic pair of sneakers
Click on any image below for more info or to order.